With the start of the resumption of cruising coming soon, with many new precautions from additional cleaning and improved air filtration to the enforcement of mask-wearing and social distancing, there are some extra advantages to booking a Suite on your next sailing!
When cruises first return they will run at reduced capacity, but If your goal is to limit your exposure to your fellow cruisers or main public areas without feeling like you're completely missing out on what the ship has to offer, then many high-end suite options have private areas exclusive to suite guests as well as access to private restaurants, pool areas and lounges with bars.
- Cunard – Queens Grill & Princess Grill suites have access to their own private dining room for each category, with access only available to suite guests
- NCL - Selected NCL ships offer “Haven Suites” hidden away at the top of the ship. Just steps away is a sundeck reserved exclusively for guests of The Haven. As well as priority embarkation to debarkation, boarding of tenders to shore, onboard entertainment & even dining reservations.
Butler or Concierge Services:
Many major cruise lines like Cunard, Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, offer butler or concierge service for suite guests. This comes in very handy as they can organise special dinners in your suite, make dining and shore excursions reservations for you, and even organise in-suite massages if you want to pamper yourself!
- Cunard – Queens Grill suite guests will have a butler & Princess grill Suites have a Concierge service
- NCL – Haven Guests have the personal service of a concierge and a 24-hour butler whilst onboard
Suites are almost always bigger than other category types, sometimes even double the size of other categories. Some suites even have multiple rooms within the cabin. More space means you can often sleep more people so you can travel as a larger group and ensure everyone stays close together. Suites usually feature in-cabin spaces large enough for gathering within your group bubble for those pre-dinner drinks
- Cunard – Standard Inside from 152sq ft VS Q6 Queens Grill 484 sq ft (Queen Elizabeth)
- NCL – Standard Inside from 129 sq ft VS a Spa Suite with Balcony 378 sq ft (Norwegian Escape)
Should you wish to spend time in your cabin, your suite has a range of amenities to keep you occupied.
- Cunard – Queens Grill Suites have iPads in the cabin (Queen Mary 2 Q1-Q4 suites, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth Q1-Q2 Suites), Books and atlas, and even A Playstation 4 is supplied in Queens Grill Suites Q1 - Q4 on Queen Mary 2 (games available from the concierge library).
- NCL – In a Deluxe spa suite on Norwegian Escape enjoy a hot tub and an oversized waterfall shower and multiple body spray jets.
If you have spent the money to enjoy a suite you have to receive some additional perks right! Many suites include extras like Wifi, Mini-Bar set up, Canapes, priority reservations on dining, shore excursions & even the theatre shows!
- Cunard – In a Queens Grill Suite you will receive Champagne and chocolates on arrival, Pre-dinner canapés, In-suite dining from the Queens Grill menu, Complimentary bar (stocked with two bottles of wine or spirits of your choice and soft drinks), Personalised stationery & Priority embarkation
- NCL – Haven Suite guests receive White tablecloth in-suite dining, Evening turndown service, Priority when reserving restaurants and entertainment, Sparkling wine, bottled water and fruit on embarkation day (For 2-Bedroom villa, Courtyard Penthouse, Spa Suite, and Penthouse only), Mini-bar and deluxe coffee/espresso/cappuccino machine, Special Haven Menus, Grab and go breakfast items including parfaits, diced fruit in a martini glass, fresh pastries and gourmet meats, Treats delivered to your suite each evening, Invitations to an exclusive breakfast and lunch, Invitations to exclusive cocktail parties
If the price is an obstacle for you, consider how much you could save whilst onboard if some of the above extras are included in your cruise fare!
Plus, if you opted for future cruise credit due to your cruise line's cancellation of a previously booked sailing, upgrading your cabin type to a suite is a great way to spend that bonus Cruise credit all at once!